Emotional Intelligence – how we show up matters!
Multiple research reports by academics and business bodies as well as World Economic Forum have all researched and published data about the importance of EI – especially in the workplace – consistently over the last decade+.
EI is the key differentiator humans have over Artificial Intelligence (AI) – no machine can persuade, influence nor empathise with humans as well as we can. There will always be a need for high EI talent in all businesses.
Yet many businesses are unaware of the critical importance of this. Many don’t measure it nor access, gap analyse nor develop it. The Great Resignation published in October 2021 spoke of 41% of the global workforce considered moving jobs. But many business leaders are unaware of this nor the simple steps to rectify any hidden issues.
Studies have shown that high levels of emotional intelligence boost career success, mental health, relationships, humour, and happiness.
Many employers invest heavily in a diverse range of training for their teams without assessing their emotional intelligence nor the emotional culture of the environment they work in. This is like building a house on unstable foundations. Why would you waste money, time and effort like that?
So, what can employers do?
Emotional Culture Index
A digital online survey that takes less than five minutes to complete. Measures ten emotions in the workplace on three levels – current feeling, expected feeling and ideal feeling. This can be run across departments to see the general gaps in the culture of the business. This would be a good first step.
A more robust process reveals what’s really going on with your talent giving you time to develop and close any gaps before the risk of them leaving the business.
Workplace Emotional Intelligence Assessments from Genos International focus on the competencies shown in the model below with the respective unproductive and productive state outcomes for each – where do you want your teams sitting?
For instance, the skill of Positive Influence helps people create a productive environment for others. Positive Influence equips you with the capacity to encourage colleagues to cooperate and work effectively together.
People who can positively influence others’ moods, feelings and emotions are empowering to work with and easily motivate those around them.
However, take a moment to consider the unproductive opposite to this – ‘indifferent’ How would you feel working with someone in this category? Just how toxic would that be over time?
Remember, negativity spreads as fast as positivity.
Emotionally Intelligent Workplace Behaviour Assessments
The Genos Emotionally Intelligent Workplace Behaviour survey measures how well you demonstrate emotionally intelligent workplace behaviours in comparison to others. It also reveals your raters’ experience of how well you demonstrate the same behaviours. The better you demonstrate the behaviours measured, the more effective your relationships and work will be. It’s not a test but a key development tool.
Workplace EI Assessments are available in three classifications:
Self How well an individual believes they demonstrate these competencies in the workplace and how important they believe they are.
180 In addition to Self above, the 180 includes comments and ratings from colleagues along with their qualitative text.
360 In addition to the 180, line additional raters from management, clients, suppliers are included in the ratings and comments section
Key Features of the Assessment
- Interpretation of results is engaging and readily accessible with easy to navigate reports.
- Benchmarked results provide a comparison with others’ self-assessed results and the report outlines the type of behaviours associated with being emotionally intelligent in the workplace.
- Raters provide free text responses for each competency assessed. These are captured in the Feedback Report and help understand the context behind rater responses to assessment questions.
- A traffic light methodology highlights areas of potential strength and development.
- Housed in a modern, responsive, online survey system. Raters can complete on their phone, tablet, PC or Mac, anywhere, at any time.
- The coaching process ensures the results are understood, insights are revealed, actions are identified and gaps closed leading to overall development and growth as well as stronger collaboration relationships with raters.
- Quick and easy to complete in less than 20 minutes – a total of 42 questions.
Genos International has over 7,500 certified partners – of which I am one! It is a leader in the field of EI, has a global presence, 20 year trackable history, and won multiple industry awards year on year.
“It’s literally a game change for business and life changing for individuals” Dr Ben Palmer co-founder of Genos International.
Contact me for a free discussion on how I can help your busines